Friday, September 08, 2006

The divide still exists....really?

I'm telling you, I am tempted to start a web site called edtechDUH.com so I can link to all of the painfully obvious conclusions reached by journalists and researchers.


The article from 9/5/06.

This one points out that there remains a digital divide. I agree.

Some of the conclusions are a classic "causation vs. correlation" deal. Is it really that not having access to the internet,"narrows their ability to even think about the kind of work they can be doing,?" ...or could it be that the conditions that lead to a lack of internet accessibility...aka poverty that contribute to that more?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for closing the digital divide. I have even been personally been involved in helping to do so. My issue is that some feel as though once we do that things will be dramatically better. I'm not so sure. The achievement gap is more pernicious then that folks. The root causes will remain unless we get serious as a society about solving the root causes and really start caring about these kids.

jim :-)

No comments: